Sunday, October 26, 2008

Share and Share Alike?

            I woke up this past Tuesday at around 6:30am.  I couldn’t help but wonder how I was awake after celebrating my 19th birthday the night before.  So, I went to the bathroom and discovered that I had pink eye.  I went to the Health Center as soon as it opened because I remembered that it was extremely contagious and got medicine.  The doctor asked me how I thought I had gotten such a disease and I told her that my friends and I share everything. She seemed alarmed and advised me against it.  But, I soon realized that this sharing was inevitable.  Without asking I walk in on my roommate using my brush.  Because my water bottles have been free game in the past my friends were helping themselves. I never realized how annoying it was that my stuff was being used until my doctor told me not to share.  I’m the oldest of four and sharing was always something that I was supposed to do.  But, sharing didn’t include my sparkly blue eye shadow or my toothbrush.  It meant non-personal, unimportant goods.  But, as far as I know there aren’t time machines that can go back and make me request that certain things remain just mine.  So how can I limit my friends on what they use without seeming like a bitch?

No comments: